By: Adeshola Aliogo
You got that interview invite, it means you impressed someone with your CV/profile and they want to know more about you. You are a step closer, now you want to be ready so you walk out with a smile and feel proud of yourself.
Click to Get Certified in Product Development & Management Processes.
I have put together a few tips you need to help you further impress your interviewer(s):
- Appearance: Look good, show up at that meeting looking very smart and presentable. Invest in one or two interview outfits and at least a body spray. You do not want your interviewer(s) rushing your interview because of bad odor. Ladies, please wear minimal make up.
- Punctuality: Arrive early, you cannot afford to be late. For a good first impression and for you to be relaxed, the best timing is 15 to 30 mins before your scheduled time.
- Watch your body language: Be conscious with your postures and movements so you do not communicate the wrong attitudes and feelings.
- Review your CV: Before any interview, make sure you can speak to any word on your CV. You can also check again for typos and replace when you get there.
Click here to Download Readymade Editable Tools & Templates - Business Continuity Plan (BCP), Business Plan, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Project Proposal Toolkit etc. here.
- Think before you speak: you must master the art of speaking. You listen, pause and think before you respond.
- Speak clearly and concisely: speak calmly and make sure you dish out only relevant information. Go straight to the point when answering a question.
- Showcase Industry knowledge: Your past or current job experience is not enough. You must be able to speak to latest trends in your profession. Be confident, the moment you walk on that room or start that conversation, you must display self assurance that reflects your ability to perform effectively.
- Presentation skills: Sharpen your presentation skills. Level up! You will always need this. Practice they say makes perfection.
- Exhibit your leadership abilities: Indicate that you can help the business thrive by highlighting skills such as taking initiatives, leading teams, taking responsibility etc.
- Mock Interview: Do you have a friend, colleague, HR professional that can run a test interview for you? take advantage. Yes! learn how to answer some basic interview questions e.g tell me about yourself etc.
Click to Get Certified in Risks & Operations Management.
About the Author
Adeshola has over 10 years diversified exposure spanning the FMCG, Logistics and Management Consulting sectors; delivering value across the HR service delivery, with practical knowledge and experience in Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, HR Transaction Services, Performance Management as well as Learning and Development.
You can reach her on LinkedIn here.